Africa Energy Indaba is proud to present the second African Youth Energy Innovator Showcase in 2018. Africa needs to invest in and grow its next generations of energy leaders if its countries and the broader continent are to compete in the global arena. Africa Energy Indaba is committed to empowering talented young Africans by allowing them to be seen by the industry experts and energy decision makers. Africa Energy Indaba wants to encourage empowerment and help find solutions to energy problems in Africa. We want to foster inspirational and innovative thinking, starting with the talented youth in Africa.
• Individuals who are between 18 to 35 years old; AND
• Have citizenship to any country in Africa
YOUR INNOVATION SHOULD ADDRESS THESE KEY AREAS:
1. Energy Security: Can your innovation help with effective management of energy supply, reliability of energy infrastructure, or meet a specific set of current and future demands?
2. Environmental Sustainability: Does your innovation provide clean renewable or low carbon supply energy?
3. Energy Equity: Can your innovation improve accessibility and affordability of energy in Africa?
4. Job creation: Could your innovation create jobs?
5. Target customers: Who is the innovation going to benefit? For example Utilites / Rural communities / Corporates etc.?
6. Customer value: What are the key benefits of your innovation to customers?
7. Your unique value proposition: How will you differentiate and position yourself?
• The winner will receive the Best Innovator Award and will be recognized at the Africa Energy Indaba 2018 in Johannesburg.
• The winner and the 4 runners-up will each receive an all-inclusive ticket to attend the Africa Energy Indaba 2018 and showcase their innovations in a 2-day exhibition. This will provide the following benefits:
– Publicity and exposure of the winning innovations to local and international market opportunities
– Access to exclusive Business Matchmaking networking program to meet with potential investors
– Opportunity to meet key public and private sector stakeholders
– The possibility of attracting funding or sponsorship
Submissions are now open! You can enter from 30 October 2017 and entries close on 15 January 2018. No late entries will be accepted.
Download the Proposal Submission Form and submit the completed forms with any diagrams and pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org BY 15 January 2018.
Winner: Patrick Akpan
Innovation: Oil Palm Fruit Boiler
Patrick Akpan, a Mechanical Engineering student doing his PhD at UCT, won the first-ever African Youth Energy Innovator Award in 2017. Patrick’s energy efficient fruit palm sterilizer won the award for the best African energy innovation. Palm oil is used in beverages, cosmetic products, cooking and baking. “For me it’s like waking up from a dream. This idea was conceived some years back and I did some work on it, but since I was not getting support on it, I left it on the shelf. Now, I can see a brighter horizon and I’ve met a couple of people at the exhibition who said they would like to work with me to see what can be done on it, and so I see the product going to the market in the near future,” said Akpan.
THE FOUR RUNNERS-UP WERE:
Innovation: Photovoltaic Blinds
Innovation: Desalination using hydrowave energy
Innovation: EED CITY GAME
Jonathan David Naude
Innovation: Solar Tracking Mechanism